Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Chicago Quilt Exhibit - Part Two

I promised you more shots of the quilts that were on exhibit in Chicago from the Illinois State Museum collection. They let me take photos but the gallery was dim and I was not allowed to use a flash. Also, I was very excited, so I may have been trembling a little, thereby shaking the camera just a bit, LOL.

 

 
 
Rose of Sharon variation (1862)
 
 
 
Hard to see but the pink is a very small check fabric and the stems are embroidered. So sweet up close.
 
 
 
 
 
Star Variation (1865)
 

Nice to see more pink checks in a Civil War era quilt. Nice touch with the brown and the green. I'll have to remember to add some to mine.

 
 
The following quilts were all made by Mary Elizabeth Byrod of  Halifax, Pennsylvania, as part of her dowry. According to the placard, Pennsylvania dowry descriptions reveal a tradition of seven to ten  quilts included in a woman's dowry. We typically think of the number 13 for dowry quilts - twelve plus one that is considered a "bride's quilt." In the 1880s, Mary's daughter Catherine moved to Illinois where the quilts found a new home and were eventually donated to the museum.
 
 
 
 
Peony and Feather quilt (1855-1862)
 

 
Broken Wheel variation  (1855-1862)
 
 
 
Oak Leaf quilt (1855-1862).  At first glance, from across the room, I thought this quilt looked a little dull. 
 
 
Wrong! Just beautiful up close.


Yes, that's a small pink print used in the binding. Love it!  The note said that the fringe is either handmade or purchased, but is original to the quilt.  
 
Hmmmm, so I'm thinking - Some of you are making 12 small quilts along with me this year. Maybe we should add a thirteenth quilt in January to complete the "dowry." What do you think?


13 comments:

Strlady said...

Love the pictures! I had never heard of the short dowry version. My daughter got married last year and when she got engaged she decided to make a dowry of quilts. She had them done and exhibited them at the venue on her wedding day. You can see them all on my blog (check the Dowry link on the side bar labels). Having her go through that and seeing these quilts make me proud to see her take a place in the history of the craft. Thanks!!

Janet said...

I think Mary Elizabeth Byrod was amazingly talented - what incredible quilts!! They don't look much worn - I wonder did she make plainer quilts for everyday use or were all her quilts this amazing.
I LOVE the quilting/trapunto on the Carpenter's wheel quilt. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures of these exquisite quilts!!

Jubama said...

vraiment très beau !!!

marian said...

WOW what gorgeous eye candy!! as i was looking at the Star Variation quilt, it got me thinking wouldn't that star block look great as a small quilt, hmmmmm just maybe??
oh i agree, Kathy, 13 would indeed complete the dowry, very nicely :)))

Colleen said...

How wonderful! Thank you for sharing these photos.

Heartsdesire said...

Yes, please. Let's have a 13th small quilt. These quilts were so inspiring, thanks Kathy for the wonderful tour. It's always great to learn the history of these old quilts. Love the tiny pink check, too.

Céline said...

These quilts are wonderfull, thank you very much

Anonymous said...

love the Rose of Sharon. Again, thanks for sharing the photos!

Barb in PA said...

Thank you so much for allowing us to visit the exhibit via your pictures. I appreciate you sharing them.

Louise said...

Wonderful quilts with beautiful colors and fabric, and it's great that the history of some of them is known.
Thanks for sharing.

Marla said...

I am not positive about this but think some of the quilts look familiar and I saw them at the Illinois Civil War Exhibit in southern Illinois last year. They are truly amazing aren't they? I noted that in the worn areas, there are bits of clear soft mesh holding the fragile bits of fabric in place but not noticeable from a distance. I would have loved to have seen these in Chicago but could not get up there in time. So glad you were able to see them Kathy. Love your idea of the 13th quilt! I am way behind in making them though! Too many irons in the fire and not enough hours in the day!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

They're so beautiful - thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

A brides small quilt would be grand.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails