Monday, July 14, 2014

Doll Beds


What is it about doll beds? Ever since I got my first Barbie doll bed as a child one Christmas - a white four-poster canopy bed with a pink and white ruffled bedspread - I've been hooked. 

                                       

My tastes have changed a bit since then but I never stopped loving doll beds and bought quite a few for my daughter to play with when she was young. This was what got me started making doll quilts for her, all those beds needing blankets of some sort. I now have a few wooden doll beds of my own and I use them to display some of the small quilts I've made.



Doll shown is the "Disney doll" made from a Gail Wilson pattern. She's one of my prized possessions. Recognize her?  She appears in my book Prairie Children & Their Quilts


Years ago, at an antique shop somewhere in Michigan or Wisconsin, my husband found a small antique pocket dictionary (measuring 2 1/4"  x  3 1/2" ) which I discovered happens to fit her perfectly. 


Yes, she reads it every night before bedtime and so she's very educated . . . .






Cradles count too, don't they?


This mini-cradle is too small for a quilt so it holds my scraps or sometimes I keep it on my sewing table and fill it with fabric for a new project I'm working on.




11 comments:

Ann in PA said...

Oh I love them all! I guess we never tire of playing with dolls! LOL

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Love all your doll beds. I just picked up a doll cradle at the thrift store last week. Have it all sanded down and will remake it; and then of course make a quilt for it too. :)

Jennifer M said...

Love your doll beds and cradles and quilts, of course: ))

sue bennett said...

Love your doll beds and cradle. They look nice on your quilts. I hope I can get my grand daughters to play with dolls, doll quilts and doll cradles.

suebennett1975@gmail.com

Renée Welton said...

Oh, so sweet. My daughter had cradles but no beds. I will be looking for some. Renee in MI

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, I'm glad you brought out your cradle. The tiny one really needs a tiny quilt! All your quilts look great!! Karen

moosecraft said...

So much fun! An easy way to display quick bursts of color!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So neat! :)

agullainquieta said...

It is always a pleasure to visit your blog and see such beautiful things you do!
It had been over a month that I could dedicate to my blog. Now I come back to catch up.
A hug from Catalonia

The Civil War Quilter said...

You have some real treasures. That tiny dictionary is adorable. I love that your doll studies her dictionary and is so well-read!

Ruth said...

I just adore doll beds and have 2 very special ones, with very special antique dolls. I saw a darling cradle at a garage sale for $5 and resisted it because we are downsizing and moving to a smaller house, so I absolutely do not have room for another one. :-(

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails