Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Cozy Life

It's raining here today. The kind of rain that makes you want to stay inside and get cozy.









But I really don't mind the rain and I needed something to read so I went to the library this morning. Ever wondered why the country of Denmark is consistently named the happiest country on earth? This book sparked my curiosity and I'm about to find out - 


Not that I have any thoughts of leaving the U.S. or anything . . . .

After I got home I looked into this happiness concept and found an interesting article in the New Yorker last year about the Scandinavian concept of "Hygge"  - a Danish term defined as "a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being." The word does not translate into English very well but "cozy" comes close. Russell, the author and a British journalist, defines the term as "taking pleasure in the presence of gentle, soothing things" like a freshly brewed cup of coffee, cinnamon rolls and warm socks. And maybe a quilt or two? Hygge has something to do with creating sanctuaries for ourselves during life's dark or difficult times.

What's cozy to you? Reading? Sewing inside on a rainy day? I'll read a little and then I'll sew a little today. 


For me, sometimes cozy is a clean sewing table that's conducive to creating . . .  . Getting rid of distracting clutter makes me feel good so I can cozy in and sew.


Surrounding myself with pretty things makes me feel cozy . . . 


Working on the sofa, cozying up under a quilt, near a dog while the rain trickles against the windows . . .


Delighting in my finished blocks . . . 


Making a  great pot of coffee . . . 


Crossword puzzles (and coffee) . . . 



Coffee cozy I made a few years ago. 









19 comments:

rj0929 said...

"Cozy" for me right now is setting in my car at work in the parking lot before work listening to classical music and catching up on blog posts like yours and dreaming of a slower pace life. Do some sewing for me later today, maybe I can get off early and go home and do some hand quilting in my cozy place there.😉 Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Lovely post. Adorable finished little blocks. Where did you find the patterns ? Thank you.

Sewing Junkie said...

My Father's Family was from Denmark and he was raised to be a home body and kept us all close. My Great Grandmother cooked, canned and sewed for 14 children and she never worked out. Times have changed so. I live in NW Illinois and many of the small towns around us live this kind of life. Enjoy your blog and all the stitching you do. Chris

annie said...

I enjoyed your post, loved it all except for the coffee, I don't drink coffee
Give me a good book, a good cozy quilt and a good dog, and I am all set 😉

daniela said...

Post hygge!
Ciao
Daniela

Kathleen Tracy said...

Pamela - these are some of my Dear Jane blocks : ) Patterns are from the Dear Jane EQ software.

Sharon said...

I read the Year of Living Danishly and enjoyed it. My favorite thing to do on a rainy day is read a good book. I also do the newspaper crossword puzzles daily while drinking coffee. My husband and I also always have a jigsaw puzzle in progress on the dining room table. I save my stitching for at night in front of the TV. Our rain arrives tomorrow and they are saying that "S" word for Friday-maybe an inch. Happy Wednesday from Central Ohio!

Rosemary said...

Life IS Good!! Sound like my favorite kind of day!!

Colleen said...

Loved your post :) As I get older (I'm 70!! YIKES...how did that happen?? :(), I find I enjoy my home more and more and it's becoming a "dread" to even go out to grocery shop (which I did today). People have become so impatient and are in such a hurry. We live in a small town in AZ but we have a lot of traffic because Route 66 and I-40 run right through here. We also have a lot of CA people moving here and they have one driving speed...fast!

So, I like to hunker down in my own home and my own space (sewing room) and either sew, work on wool applique, or do counted cross stitch. I worked outside the home my whole life (from 18-62) and it was a fast-paced life, but I enjoy my retirement time now.

I'm also an avid reader and will look for this book. I'd be interested in it because my maternal grandparents came from Holland.

Lady Locust said...

Rj0929 that is just what I do too:)

Sandy H said...

I just love the quilt on your sofa....did you make it and is there a pattern I can purchase? Really love your blog!!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thank you, Sandy. I love it too. That scrappy quilt is called Calico Comfort and the pattern is in my book Remembering Adelia.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love this post. You capture the coziness of a rainy day so well. My husband and I love to "hygge" by enjoying some hot chocolate or tea in the evenings while watching tv or just talking together. Add a couple of comfy quilts and maybe a lit candle, and that's hygge.

NancyRose said...

And with you, suddenly, RAIN become wonderful....
Cozy, quietly, peacefully the day is Happily...

quiltgrannie said...

I love to make soup on rainy day's, sit in my comfy chair and enjoy a good movie while doing some hand stitching.

Nancy said...

I don't think I've ever commented, but I love this post of 'contentment'. One reminded me of my Mom who is in heaven - the Cool Whip! Her favorite lunch was sliced up bananas with a dab of Cool Whip. Today will be a day of hygge here stitching away on a wool project while it rains. Oh.. but next week... 70's in Ct!! If I stitch, it will be on the deck overlooking our backyard of birds and daffodils... Yup.. HYGGE!!

Laura Mattox said...

i love this post! Living in the Pacific Northwest we do get plenty of days to get cozy. I love rainy days!

marian said...

This Danish word / concept has been popping up a lot in recent weeks. I read about it on another blog, and in a magazine, and last week there was some in-depth discussion about 'hygge' on an afternoon news program. To me it encapsulates a sense of peace & harmony within oneself and within one's home. I feel it when i am engrossed in a sewing project or when i'm curled up with a good book.. cozy certainly is a good analogy.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I'm reading The Little Book of Hygge at the moment...it's lovely. Haven't heard of the title you have but will check my library. Enjoy the rainy days.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails