Saturday, February 24, 2018

Nine-Patch Fun

The nine-patch block is one of my favorites and I've made these in all different sizes. But mostly for small quilts.





Right now I have three nine-patch quilts in the works that will be larger than the small quilts I typically make. Some of the blocks will still be small and some will be a bit larger. I'm working on these in between sashing my Dear Jane quilt. 


It feels odd making 6-inch blocks when you're used to making smaller ones. They seem huge!


These will be put together into a lap quilt using scrappy six-inch blocks alternated with light print squares. Simple, yes, but scrappy and sort of sentimental.


I'm having a lot of fun playing with my fabrics.




These are 3-inch blocks I'm making for a quilt inspired by a quilt called the Birthday Quilt in Julie Hendricksen's book Preserving History. It's a wonderful book if you love reproductions and antique quilts and it contains quite a few patterns I really want to make. I had the great idea of making a quilt for myself instead of making one for a book, a pattern or a mystery. Something simple. So, this one is going to be MY birthday quilt and just for me to cuddle up in on the couch. 


If you can believe it, the blocks in this quilt are 1 1/2" (!!!). Yes, the BLOCKS, not the pieces. Beautiful,  but that seems just a little crazy to me so I'm making my blocks 3", using 1 1/2" squares, which is still small enough. If I had to make them any smaller I'd get really frustrated and probably quit. After my Dear Jane blocks, it's not like I need even more frustration with tiny pieces. 

For this quilt, I need 240 nine patches and 240 shirting or light squares. Sounds like a lot but they stitch up really fast. I just finished my 130th block yesterday so I'm more than halfway there. I started this last November and then got sidetracked. So I picked it up again to take a break after I put together my first DJ segment. My "loose" goal for the past week has been to try to make 10 blocks every day. I've made blocks 6 days straight so that's pretty good. No pressure, I've got months to finish, but a goal is always good.  Again, it's been fun including a lot of my favorite reproduction scraps in these blocks. 

Have a good weekend! I still have to get in my 10 blocks today . . . . 




15 comments:

Renée Welton said...

Kathy you inspire me. I feel like I hardly accomplish anything with all the babysitting for the grand girls. But this time is flying by and they grow up so fast, and the quilts will wait.

Judy said...

All I can say is wow! You are amazing and such an inspiration. I'm stitching 3" shoo fly blocks from Ratsburg Road and you have just inspired me to get on with it! Thanks Kathy.

Chookyblue...... said...

That is going to be a lovely quilt..... Simple nine patches make so many beautiful quilts......

Robin McGuire said...

Your blocks are beautiful, Kathy! So many yummy fabrics. It will be a wonderful birthday quilt for you!

Anonymous said...

Love this! Nine patches have always been a favorite block of mine, and making a nine patch quilt is on my bucket list....even as a hand piecer, I think these blocks would go fairly fast...I may need to move it further up on my list!! I have quite a stash of Civil War reproduction fabrics that would be great!!!
Looking forward to following your progress!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Candee said...

I love your idea to make a birthday quilt for yourself!

Carolknits said...

I see you are cutting out individual squares for your blocks. Do you ever sew in strips to cut up?
I am delighted that you are sewing such a basic block. I feel validated in my love for the 9-patch which some consider "lowly". Your use of colors is striking and your quilts make me happy.

sue bennett said...

Kathy you inspire me so much with every thing you get finished and work on the same time.

Karen said...

I love the nine-patch too! It's simple and quaint. The birthday quilt is going to be beautiful with the alternating print you choose. You find the cutest fabric...colors and prints. Your little quilts are always so cute. I love the little pink and white valentine table runner those prints are so sweet and feminine.
Looking forward to seeing how your DJ is coming along, it's going to be such a beautiful quilt when your done.

mangozz said...

I've loved that 9-patch quilt ever since I first saw it on Pinterest. I've been making 3" 9-patches lately too and have about 120 so far. I wanted to either make a Jack's Chain or the one you have pictured. I think I have enough fabric strips to make another 120. Since you are using 240 in your quilt, I was wondering how big you plan on making it. Thanks Kathy.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Carol - These blocks are made from scraps. Strips would be a lot easier if I made lots of blocks that are the same, from the same print or if I didn't have 1 1/2" scrap squares already cut. I make a lot of scrappy blocks for my quilts, no two the same, so if I have left over pieces from a different project or a border, sometimes I cut them into 2 1/2", 2" or 1 1/2" squares and store them in boxes or bags so I can pick and choose which ones to use for some of my blocks whenever I feel like making something new. Perhaps not terribly efficient, but it works for me.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Mangozz - I am making 24 rows of 20 blocks across (10 nine patch blocks + 10 light squares). Comes out to about 60" x 72"

Kathleen Tracy said...

Judy - I love that book Ratsburg Rd! Would love to make some quilts that are in there too.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Renee - Remember - Family always comes first. You will have time when they grow up.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thanks, Sue - Hope I actually finish these. Right now I've got 6 small quilt tops made recently that are hanging on the design wall that are still not quilted. . . . so I don't actually finish everything, haha. I get distracted easily with new projects like everyone else.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails